Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 Prong Adapter Safe outdoors?

Posted by pbx2 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 16:55

Wrapping Christmas lights around 2 trees in front of our house & connecting them to extension cord via a 3 prong outlet adapter.

Not sure if there is such as water proofing the adapter while it is on the ground is there?

Any best practices?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 Prong Adapter Safe outdoors?

The topic title is confusing. What is pictured would be called a triple tap or something similar. It is not a three prong adapter in the usual sense.
I know that some will disagree-- but since light strings by the millions are plugged into cords this time of the year and will continue to be done for the forseeable future, my suggestion is to wrap it with non-combustible material to keep it dry -- then enjoy the lights.

o
RE: 3 Prong Adapter Safe outdoors?

The trouble with trying to seal it is that it probably will still let some moisture in. Any barrier that you set up will probably let water in faster than water vapor can get out so you have to "seal" it up in wet weather and open it up when dry to really do anything constructive. I'd either leave it be, maybe protect from direct rain or put on some dielectric grease.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here