Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
making pendants from copper/emt/?

Posted by wianno (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 2, 11 at 16:48

I have 3 vapor tight ceiling fixtures I want to hang from ceiling boxes. I want them to make an 8" drop from the boxes to the lights to clear the garage doors track so it won't cast shadows.

I was going to use the stock lampholder like you find for exterior spot lights. However, these only come with 1/2" holes. The lights have 3/4 threaded holes. I would like the drop hardware to be 3/4" thick to give it some visual heft.

The electrician originally bought the covers and 1/2 threaded pipe, but they won't fit the light. I could get a reducer.

I am also thinking about using black pipe or galvy fitting to make a post that goes from 1/2" thread up to 3/4". Then use a 6" pipe x 3/4" pipe and thread that into the light.

Or, maybe use BX cable so that the lights can swing if hit? But can I use BX cable as support as well as armor for the wire?

What else can I do? I also thought of sweating some copper plumbing fittings together. Any suggestion?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: making pendants from copper/emt/?

You can't use plumbing or gas fittings for electrical work.

I don't think you can use type AC, MC or FMC as a pendant support but you could use cable although you might need some kind of strain relief.

o

Put them on the ceiling. There will not be any shadows. Besides, how would you open the doors if they are below the tracks?

IMO you highly over-thinking this.

o

I am definitely over thinking.

OK, plumbing fittings are out, EMT fittings? Can you get EMT fittings threaded? Can they work as support?

PEX?

It's a two car garage with high ceiling. The lights run down the middle between the tracks. There must be some product I can use, after all, the lights were made this way.

o

"Can you get EMT fittings threaded?"

The metal si to thin.

Use rigid metal conduit.

It is similar to plumbing pipe and uses NPT threads.

o

Engineer?

o
Are you an...

Engineer?

o

Yes, Engineer. good guess.

o

"Yes, Engineer. good guess."

LOL
I thought this right from the original post.

You guys are easy to spot. :)

o

ceiling fan mounting bracket and down tube.

just a thought

-dkenny

o

Did it with Rigid conduit. Used a 1/2" close nipple, 3/4" to 1/2" adapter, then 3/4" connector to a 3/4"x6" pipe. They did not have 8" pipe, but the connector made up for those 2". Did a color match on my fixture, painted it up and sprayed with clear-coat. All done. Exactly what I wanted.

o

Pictures would be appreciated.

o

"They did not have 8" pipe..."

Now you now why folks have threading setups.

NPT threads are not just for plumbing.

I threaded 2 inch rigid for a custom install recently.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here