Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wiring diagram/help needed

Posted by svsvsv (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 5, 11 at 16:48

hello...i am wiring a bathroom with a 3 switch rocker and an outlet with 2 plugs in a 2 gang box. power is coming in from the ceiling via 2 wire. I have the rocker powering a fan, light and sconce. this is all wired correctly and working properly. what i cannot figure out is how to wire the electrical outlet within this same box. i am looking for assistance on how to complete this. currently the way i have it wired my tester is saying their is an open neutral in the outlet. i have checked all wires, nuts and connections and nothing seems to be incorrect.

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wiring diagram/help needed

If the incoming 2wire is actually a hot and neutral, simply feed the receptacle hot side from the hot coming in on the 2 wire. In turn, tie the receptacle neutral side to incoming neutral wire. All of these connections should happen before the 3 gang switch to keep things simple, in my opinion. If you added the 3 wire, the original 2 wire may have been a switch loop. That means it was a feed and return. Not connected to the neutral in the fixture/device box before going down to the switch. Might check that out if that is the case.

o
RE: wiring diagram/help needed

Just wanted to clarify some of my language.

There is a hot and a neutral (2 wires total) coming in to the gang box from the ceiling. Then I have (3) 2 wires going out to the light, sconce and ceiling fan respectively all of which are operating properly. Tying in the outlet in the gang box to this set up is where my issue lies. Thanks for the assistance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here