Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wiring 10-3 for stove to breaker panel

Posted by Mr.Bean (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 16:45

30 amp, 120 V supply to 4-prong plug at stove. I am about to connect this to the breaker but am confused by what to do with the extra, red leg? Breaker is a two-pole 30 amp.
White and ground to the neutral bar in the panel as usual. What next and why? Not sure I understand the purpose of the red wire. I've done 4-wire in 220V installations before but not for 120V. Sorry if this is a stupid question and many thanks to those who are kind enough to explain this to me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wiring 10-3 for stove to breaker panel

Let's call it a range. Need more information. Please tell us the brand name and the electrical information on the name plate of the range. Please identify the plug from the NEMA chart and post that back to this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: NEMA

o
RE: Wiring 10-3 for stove to breaker panel

Range it is. And stupid I am. Rechecked the installation guide, and it states 30 amp, 240V, so red and black are both hot and go one to each of the screws on the two-pole breaker. Kind of you to post the NEMA chart link. That's useful. I run into a lot of different electrical connections at work and need to know their names. Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here