Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pliers

Posted by mike_kaiser (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 16:12

Seems like I misplaced my linesman pliers - Klein 9", not the Journeyman or 2000 series. I was happy with them but before I buy another pair, I thought might ask if anyone had any other suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pliers

I never was displeased with any Klein pliers. Channellock now offers one with longer handles. Not sure of the price.

o

I don't normally go in for gadgety stuff but I picked up a pair of know name pliers at Home Depot a while back that in one configuration are a pair of linesman pliers and you flip the handles around and they are needle nose.

I find this real handy when I'm up in a tight space. That and a screwdriver pretty much all I need to have to hook up a device. Both can be stuffed in my shirt pocket.

o

Quite a few guys are really happy with knipex. I might try them when it is time to replace my trusty kleins.

o

After a bit of looking and vacillation (how's that for a word) I went with a pair of Knipex. Model 02 02 180 to be exact. Hardened cutting edges, "(hardness approx. 63 HRC) for soft and hard wire and piano wire."

Knipex describes them as "high leverage combination pliers" and the head is a bit smaller than a traditional "linesman" pliers. Knipex does offer the latter calling them "American style" linesman pliers. The former are a bit more compact and maybe easier to get into tight places. The latter would offer more mass if, as is common, to use the pliers as a hammer.

The other big difference is that the handles are a bit closer together, which might make them more comfortable for someone with smaller hands. Beyond that the operation is smooth and the "multi-component grips" are very comfortable.

About $35 plus tax. Made in Germany.

o

Does metal extend all the way trough the handles?

o

The handles are just a bit fancier plastic with a little softer material than the standard "dipped" stuff but the steel is full length. Kind of like Klein's Journeyman series.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here