Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1 second delay between lights on same switch - dangerous?

Posted by myrtle_59 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 24, 09 at 15:52

We had an electrician put two ceiling lights in the bathroom which had none. They added one new switch to control both. When I turn it on, the first ceiling light comes on immediately and a second later the second one over the tub comes on. They are not 6 feet apart. Then if I turn them off and turn them on again there is no delay the second time. But if I wait a while the whole process repeats itself.

Why is this? Is it dangerous? Do I need to call them back? They were electricians, not handymen who did this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1 second delay between lights on same switch - dangerous?

Are they fluorescent of some sort, if so, that's not too surprising.

o

No, they are incandescent, just ordinary can lights, one over the tub is covered the other in the ceiling bare.

o

Since you imply that the bulbs are identical (i.e., ordinary incandescent), why not swap bulbs and see what happens?

If you get the same result, you will have helped isolate what is going on here.

o

You know, come to think of it they may not be identical. It is possible the covered bulb over the tub is florescent. Since I can't see it because of the cover I don't know. I will look at that first. Maybe that is the answer. The electrician supplied the bulbs. Now, how do I get the cover off?

o

Call the electrician and ask them this question. They will be able to tell you what kind of bulb and you don't have to undo the cover or worry anymore.

We have two lights on a switch that do the exact same thing, first one is incandescent and second one is a fluorescent twist bulb.

o

I just checked. It IS florescent! So that delay is normal with florescent ? I'm relieved! Thanks!

o

Yeah, fluorescents can take anywhere from zero to a second to start up. They even get slower as they get older.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here