Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christy_bell

Changing 40amp to 50amp circuit

Christy Bell
9 years ago

We want to change out a 40amp circuit on our main breaker box to a 50amp to accommodate an induction cooktop we purchased. There is currently an electric one in there now. We know the wires running from the breaker to the cooktop can support 50amps. How do we go about doing this and what do we need? See pics.

Thanks.

First pic is main box

Comments (11)

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

40amp circuit we want to change out to 50amp

• Christy Bell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Name on front of breaker box

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Does the new cooktop require only 240 volts or is it marked 120/240 volts? Does the cable have two insulated conductors or three?
    This information is important to determine exactly what changes may be required.

The panel is Cutler Hammer and uses Type CH breakers.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 20:46

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    9 years ago

My dual fuel range required a new 50 amp circuit, which was relatively easy because there was space in the 200 amp panel and unfinished basement under the kitchen. My range did not require a separate 120 volt circuit, but apparently some models do need a separate feed.

From what I recall, the 50 amp circuit required a 50 amp breaker in the panel, 6/3 NM-B copper wire run from the breaker to the plug, and a NEMA 14-50R receptacle for the range to plug into. You also need the cable clamp at the panel and the wire staples to secure the cable, but that is typical of any wiring installation.

If you already have the proper 6/3 cable running to the range plug, you probably only need to have a new 50 amp breaker and the proper receptacle installed for your cooktop.

Bruce

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

Those are standard Type CH berakers (the old Cutler-Hammer company now part of Eaton). That's no big thing. As alluded to, the first issue is whether the wiring has sufficient ampacity (big enough size). If it does, all you need do is change the breaker. If it's not, you'll need to pull new wire.

How did you verify the wiring could handle 50A? What does it say on the outside of it?

CH breakers are pretty plentiful, even the home centers around here tend to stock them. Your picture even shows what a 50A breaker looks like right above the 40A one you want to replace.

It's pretty simple. There are youtube videos on how to pull and reinstall Type CH breakers.

• User
    9 years ago

Look at the size differential from the wires feeding the 40 to the ones feeding the 50 above. Do not just change out that breaker!

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

The point of my earlier post was to determine if a neutral is required and if the existing conductors have an insulated neutral (if required) plus the equipment grounding conductor. That is the reason that I did not suggest just slapping a CH250 breaker into the panel. Doing that may, nor may not, be the only thing to do.

• btharmy
    9 years ago

I'm pretty sure they have no idea if the circuit conductors are rated for 50 amps. Most likely, they need to run new cable from the panel to the oven location.

• petey_racer
    9 years ago

I want to know how they are sure the wire can handle a 50A circuit, yet they are asking what to do.