Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
120AC and Low Voltage Routed Together?

Posted by cz9h3d (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 15:33

I've read where you don't want to run 120AC lines next to low voltage due to interference (i.e. for phone lines, Ethernet, etc)

I'm installing 24V undercabinet lighting, using a dimable transformer. I want to run a couple low voltage lines to a wall switch to enable turning on/off my 2 zones of lights (i.e. these would be 24V lines out of the transformer, passing through a switch before they get to their zone). I currently have them routed through one wall stud with 2 120AC lines. Should I reroute them, to be further away from each other? Does it matter for this application (i.e. not a phone or ethernet line).

It's high-quality low voltage wire, fully jacketed for in-wall use.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 120AC and Low Voltage Routed Together?

You're talking 24VAC? No problems.

o
RE: 120AC and Low Voltage Routed Together?

"next to" is not a problem.

In the same conduit requires all insulation be rated to the highest voltage preset.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here