Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
data/voice

Posted by jerseybob (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 3, 10 at 15:32

Trying to do a little research for work. What are the spacing requirements for data/voice from house electrical wiring? Concern is from an electrical interference standpoint.
Tried looking online but didn't have any luck.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: data/voice

Data isn't usually going to care. Analog voice isn't that succeptable either, but most would try to keep it a foot or so away. If you're using some digital (IP or otherwise) phone system, again it's not usually an issue with separation from power.

o

But is there some requirement for spacing to meet code?

o

Don't put them in the same junction box.

Even that is OK if the box is divided so that the low voltage and line voltage circuits are physically separated.

I consider it good wiring practice to maintain several inches of separation between power and control/data lines that run parallel. Others don't seem as concerned, so take your pick.

o

"But is there some requirement for spacing to meet code?"

None.

The only time spacing comes into play is if the wiring is in the same wiring method (conduit, cable tray, etc.) and even then the rule says insulation must be adequate.

If they are present in the same junction box they must be separated by a suitable barrier.

Any system that cannot cope with all the 60 Hz electric and magnetic fields all over the place is not going to work well.

Twisting and shielding works (even within a cable assembly).

o

there are code requirements. 18in when run parallel, should only cross perpendicular.

o

While there are code requirements regarding certain aspects of the interaction of low/high wiring and equipment, distance between cables for the purpose of interference is not one of the. There are "commonly accepted industry practices" but they are not code.

These include such things as: when possible, try to keep cables them at least a foot apart, or in separate stud bays, cross only at right angles, if you have to run close together, no more than 3 feet. Whether building an equipment rack, a studio, or a house, it's just good practice.

While analog audio/video is much more susceptible to interference from AC lines, digital is not totally immune. The difference is that most digital signals have ECC (error correction coding) built-in and do not display an immediate result. However, the cumulative effect, when combined with other sources or error, can push it over the edge.

I think this is an area that can not always be dictated by code as much as by common sense.

o

jmorrow's statement is one of many general recommendations.

AFAIK, it is not any sort of code.

o

hmmmmmm.... i must have lost my mind. i could have sworn the minimum separation was 18in but in fact code only requires 2in. sorry about that. check 2008 nec 800.133a(2) as well as 830.133a(2) if necessary. now im driving myself crazy trying to figure out where i got 18in from if it wasn't from the code book haha!

o

jmorrow, 18" is one of the most common recommendations I've heard, so I'm sure you got it from multiple places. :)

800.133a(2) exception 1 allows us to ignore the 2" rule if the power wiring is in (blah blah), nonmetallic-sheathed, type AC, or type UF cables... so romex (NM-B) is thus excluded, and doesn't have to be 2" from communications.

Exception 2 lets us run them next to knob&tube too.

830.133a(2) has similar exceptions.

o

"there are code requirements. 18in when run parallel, should only cross perpendicular."

Citation?

Good luck finding one.

o

He did, it just doesn't apply as long as we're using any real-world wiring method. :)

o

"He did, it just doesn't apply as long as we're using any real-world wiring method."

In other words, there is NO REQUIREMENT about perpendicular or any other separation applicable in the real world.

This reminds me of how when the coax used for cable TV was really cheap junk so a 'rule' was used to keep the lines away from AC power (and cross at 90 degrees, etc.).

The coax barely had 40% braid coverage.
You couldmake tuned stubs with a piece,then put a wad of aluminum foil on the cable and slide it back and forth for final tuning.

o

In other words, there is NO REQUIREMENT about perpendicular or any other separation applicable in the real world.

Exactly what I was hinting at :)

You couldmake tuned stubs with a piece,then put a wad of aluminum foil on the cable and slide it back and forth for final tuning.

We used to do that in the correctional system to get HBO. The local cable company's method of "scrambling" the signal was to broadcast a really strong "beeping" signal right next to it so the TV's AFT circuit would lock onto that instead of the actual video signal. Someone figured out how to make a crude notch filter out of a roll of coax and a splitter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here