Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 ovens 240/20 & 240/30 on 1 line 240/50

Posted by l1234 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 11, 09 at 15:31

I have two ovens (Miele h4080 240/20 and H4880 240/30). They are not a single combo, but have two separate wips. I have wall open to studs and do not know what to wire.
My preferred way would be to run #6 240/50 4-wire line and connect two receptacles. What the code requires. Do I have to run 2 separate lines? Had these ovens were a factory combo - they would have 1 plug, but they do not make a combo like that with these two?
If I can have one 240/50 line - how do I connect two receptacles or does a dual receptacle exists for #6 cable?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 ovens 240/20 & 240/30 on 1 line 240/50

Each appliance must be on its own dedicated circuit. How would you have overcurrent protection for the 20A and separate 30A appliances with a 60A breaker?

o

Sounds logical - but I think over-current protection is more for the circuit wire than for the appliance. Appliances usually have their own over-current protection. On the other hand when there is double oven combo unit comprising 2x 30A ovens it operates on a single 60A circuit panel breaker protecting single line.
Confusing enough - forget logic forget physics - what the law requires?

o

Sounds logical to me. I don't have a code book nearby. Hopefully someone else can comment on code requirement.

o

What do the installation instructions for the ovens say?

If they say 'require' for a separate circuit, the NEC says you must follow the manufacturer's instructions.

The issue is is the appliance wiring sufficient to carry a fault current to trip the larger breaker?

The internal wiring needs to be able to carry at least the breaker rating to avoid the appliance conductors acting as a fuse before the breaker can trip.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here