Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
floor outlet in carpet, any tricks to install???

Posted by jaansu (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 07 at 15:24

I want to install a switch controlled outlet near a table that is not convenient to any walls, thus it will need to go on the floor. Are these any typical code issues or practical considerations to such an install in carpet? I would like to put in a brass cover plate. Are there such cover plates that would allow the entire opening to be covered by a brass oval instead of the usual child protection type inserts for the second outlet? I realize I could install a single outlet but it would be nice to have the capacity for a second application at some time.
I seem to recall The Family Handyman had such an article some years back. Would anyone have the year/month of that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: floor outlet in carpet, any tricks to install???

The floor covers I've seen have been brass with the round covers for the receptacles. The covers twist/screw on when not in use to hide the receptacle. The link below shows a few different varieties.

In the link they have one with a flip up cover. Might be good under a table.

Here is a link that might be useful: in floor covers

o

Thank Cissado. The link is exactly what I want but the price surprises me. Checking a few other links suggests none are in the range I hoped to pay but maybe this is a speciality item.

I see that the sites mention 'carpet flange.' What is this and is it necessary? I assume that if I cut a square hole in the carpet that no support such as tack strips are needed around it. Or is this something worth doing to avoid wrinkles?

o

A carpet flange is a wider flange all around the box, or a wider separate flange you put under the box before setting it into the floor.
You DO need one!

Those prices, while high, are pretty near going rate. They are not cheap.

o
See the link below for a carpet flange

See the link. Do NOT mix brands. Get everything from the same Mfg.

Here is a link that might be useful: T&B carpet flange

o

I have one. Got it at Home Depot. Its brass and very nice.

o

Carlon makes a relatively inexpensive floor box that allows for a duplex outlet. These used to be available in the box stores, but I haven't seen them there in a couple of years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carlon Residential Floor Box.

o

I see that both HD and Lowes carry a model. The Lamson circular 'box' is what I want but it comes with a hole saw, which I already have, which increases the price to $45 total. Definitely cheapest to use the big box stores for either a square or circular 'box'. I wouldn't mind buying a used version but don't see it on Ebay. Anyone know of other used versions?

o

I picked up a single outlet, rectangular box from HD. It is a Hubbell Floor Box Assembly. It comes with an old work metal box, outlet, gasket, and brass cover with single outlet screw in cap.

I originally tried the circular box / hole saw solution, but the plastic box mounts broke away from the brass cover after a few months (plugging in a device about once a week).

I can't find a link for it, but the UPC is 050169062364 .

o
Shadow question

Shadow, I was going to go for the Lamson circular box that comes with the hole saw. But I don't understand what you experienced. Are you saying the outlet itself came loose from the box from only the minor stress induced by plugging in and out a few dozen times? If so, this item sounds very shoddy. It might also explain the recall on it a couple of years ago when the plug was wired backwards. Anyway, I would appreciate understanding the problem you had with the circular box before I make a decision. Thanks!

o

The plastic cylinder where the wire connections are made is held to the brass floor plate with a few plastic tabs. After a short duration of light usage, the plastic tabs would no longer hold the plastic cylinder in place and it would flop around as you plugged/unplugged things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here