Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
motion detector replacement

Posted by charles1218 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 4, 10 at 14:30

For years I have had a Regent MS403 detector with a 500 watt halogen light. It had very good long-distance detection. But recently it has started showing problems. It has started staying on indefinitely after it trips at night. It seems fine in test mode. My question is whether the Regent MS180 has the same long-distance performance. I have a couple of MS180 detectors that I bought a couple years ago for another light, but never used. Does anyone know of another suitable replacement that has similar long-distance detection and can handle the 500 watt load?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: motion detector replacement

I have yet to find a motion sensor that works well and lasts. Went through 4 in 10 years. Finally, I got fed up and installed a dusk to dawn sensor with 2 CF floods (they're 20-something watts each, good enough for my application.) I had been using 2 150-watt floods, but didn't want to use that much energy 10 hours a day.
Perhaps an electrical supply house might sell motion sensors of higher quality.

o
RE: motion detector replacement

I'd find the manufacturers website for the two models and download their spec sheets. Might give you some clues.

Integrated sensor/lights might be the way to go.

I don't know what it is in motion sensors that wears out, but they do. I think the lenses get cloudy, and the sensor inside probably has its electrical values change with age due to the sun etc.

CFs are good but not so good in colder temperatures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here