Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grounding means to branch panel

Posted by uniflow (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 14:07

Greetings, I am upgrading a 100A QO remote panel in a detached building from 120V to 240V with 2-4 Al cable (all that was available locally) pulled from a 200A QO entrance panel. I gutted the remote panel and removed the bonding screw and installed a box grounding bar, drove an 8" ground rod and cabled it to the bar along with all the branch circuit grounds, separating them from the neutrals.

I have two questions: This leaves me with the insulated green conductor. May I ground it at the entrance panel as well as the remote panel? A journeyman electrician said that I could do this but I want a second opinion.

The other is, there is not available in either panel a means to ground the large #2 wire. May I bolt a grounding lug inside each panel case and install the grounding conductor to them?
Thanks for your help! Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grounding means to branch panel

The current codes require that you run a ground to the remote structure in addition to it having it's own grounding system.

What green conductor are you talking about? Are you talking about the one feeding the sub panel? In this case not only CAN you, you MUST connect that to the grounding system on both ends.

You can use listed accessory lugs, check the Schneider catalog.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here