Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
outlets dont work?

Posted by dmconsulting (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 25, 09 at 13:47

my wife plugged in a hairdryer to the hall outlet and after 1 minute it went out and the hal lights went out, now all the outlets connected to that zone are out. i tried the panel and flipped the breaker which wasnt tripped by the way, i tried resetting the 2 GFI in the panel, nothing happened? what can be the cause and how do i fix this? appreciate the help. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: outlets dont work?

Hair dryers -- especially a large ones -- draw a lot of juice and are leading candidates for tripping a breaker.

Before trying to diagnose this problem further, I'd suggest that you revisit the breaker for that circuit. First turn it all the way off -- firmly! Then turn it back on. There's no need to be gentle here: Make sure you move the toggle all the way to the off position.

A lot of breakers don't appear to be tripped when, in fact, they are. In that state, they won't reset if you simply push them towards the "on" position.

If that doesn't work, come back for some more troubleshooting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here