Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to add on to circuit

Posted by adilhoxha (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 13:30

I'm adding two electrical outlets on a wall to an existing circuit that has 6 potlights and a couple of outlets on it. The question is should I fish wire through the wall to hook up the new outlets one of the old ones or can I access power through the potlights in the attic? The potlights seems easier - but not sure if I can do that(?) Or do I just fish the wire from the attic down to one of the existing outlets and run that wire over and down to the new outlet?

Just wondering others' thoughts...

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to add on to circuit

If you connect at a light fixture, you would probably find that turning off the switch for the light would also kill the power to the new outlets. I can't say for sure without knowing more specifics about how the circuit is connected. Your best bet is to wire back to an outlet that is known to be always-on.

o

Makes sense...I'll go fishing...

o

Drill a small hole where the outlet will be, and use a straightened metal coat hanger to feel inside the wall. Enlarge the hole for the wire or outlet box. Be sure to use an outlet boxes made to attach to an existing wall, but do not install it until the wire has been run.Attach the wire or cable to a fish tape or coat hanger using electrical tape, and feed it into the hole until it reaches the opening at the other end. If you are working from the attic, you can drop a weighted string down wall cavity, then attach the wire to the string and pull it through.

This post was edited by RockWood13 on Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 3:10

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here