Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
100 amp braker box or200 amp braker box

Posted by little_acorn (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 13:19

I have just rewired my home with 12-2 with ground and would like to know which to go with the braker box, right now I have a small 100 AMP box and need more space. So should I stay with the 100 AMP or go with the 200 AMP box?

I have a GAS Drier, Gas Stove & Oven, and a Gas Water Heater.

Everything else is Eleectal.

Yes I have AC.

The only things that I have electric id the Amplifier, Refrigerator, Microwave, dishwasher, TV, DVD Player, CD Player, and Computer. That is it.

To be realistic Even thoru I may not need 200Amp box would I be wise to put one in?

I just took the 200 Amp box back and got a 100 Amp box with 20 20.

If I was to sell the house will this make a big differance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 100 amp braker box or200 amp braker box

go back and get the 200 amp box.

o

You can't just put in a "200 amp box". You need to do a whole service upgrade to go to 200A.

o

Yes I understand that.

That is why I am asking if one should go with 200 Amps or stay with the 100 Amps.

o

Yes, if you are able to address any required changes prior to the breaker box to accommodate the 200 amp service - just do it.

An upgrade to the panel should be just that, an "upgrade" and not just to meet your current needs, but also allow for future needs as well.

If I was looking at buying a home, a 100 amp service entrance would definitely fall into the "con" category as opposed to the "pro" category.

o

Depending on local laws you may not have to pay anything for the service drop upgrade.

Virginia used to be home and may still be) to free upgrades from the pole to the meter pan with a service upgrade.
For a long time Dominion Power would even give you a meter base for the asking so you would use their preferred one.

The POCO has to get power to your meter base.

New houses with new power are not the same.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 17:58

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here