Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to find a defective breaker that won't trip?

Posted by thaugen (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 13:04

Yesterday I plugged a small 800 watt heater into an outlet and the overhead lights flickered for an instant and then everything was fine. Today I plugged in the heater and the lights flickered and then went off and the outlet wouldn't work either. No tripped breaker. The outlet is on the other side of a stud next to the bank of four light switches. Four-way switches, no idea what feeds what.

All I have to test with is a continuity tester and an outlet tester to verify outlets are wired correctly. The outlet and the switches still have some current present, but the outlet won�t even light a 15 watt bulb. I am guessing a bad breaker hasn�t fully tripped and is still passing a small amount of current.

Two Square D 200 amp breaker panels, about 25 breakers per panel, they�re double-breakers (2 breakers in one slot). Only a dozen of the breakers are marked as to what they feed. I removed the panel covers and checked only to find current at all breakers. My uneducated guess is that a breaker has gone bad and instead of tripping is letting some current still pass.

Thanks in advance for any experienced advice.

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to find a defective breaker that won't trip?

Start by cycling ALL the breakers at your residence. Move the operating handle firmly to OFF, then firmly to ON.
I do not believe that the problem is a breaker. More likely to be a loose connection in one of the wall boxes of the affected devices.

o

I would suspect that you have back-stab devices in the circuit. They are notorious for failing, especially as they age. These devices use internal spring clips to hold the wires and provide electrical continuity rather than machine screws.
I have seen several phantom failures 'cured' by the act of merely removing devices from their junction boxes, leaving the wires connected. As the wires twist slightly in the spring clips, carbon deposits, which are dues to electrical arcing, are chipped away and continuity is restored. A bad design which is still legal on 15 amp circuits.

o

Thanks for the back-stab tip but these switches and outlet are all wired by screws.

By dumb luck I found the breaker in question, and to rule it bad or good I moved the wires to a known good breaker. No luck, breakers are good, Now it is time to tear into the boxes and try to find a bad connection that is letting only a small current pass.

o

What you describe is a typical bad connection. It is no surprise that the breaker is good. Most people knee-jerk to a bad breaker when this is hardly ever the case.
I wouldn't be surprised if you found an errant failed back-stab.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here