Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broken socket

Posted by pump_toad (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 21, 09 at 12:46

I am sure this is a very dumb question but I need to ask for my peace of mind.I was throwing a blanket up to a shelf in a closet and hit a old fashioned light socket. The bulb fell out and I notice the socket is split.I tried the bulb and it does light but I don't want to use it that way. Have taken the bulb out so want to know if it is safe that way until I call a electrican.
Lois

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broken socket

It's very likely safe. The main thing to worry about is if a wire got detached or moved, but I doubt that that would happen just by cracking the socket. However, when you say the bulb fell out, do you mean the whole thing, including the base of the bulb?...because that could be a more serious problem indicating greater damage. If you do have major damage, it would be best if you could throw the breaker for that light until the electrician shows up.

o

I think a deeper issue is the presence of an open lampholder in a clothes closet.

bad, bad, bad.

o

Thanks, for your replies. Yes the whole bulb fell out in one piece so evidently I didn't have it screwed in very tight. Think I had better call someone to fix it.
Lois

o

pharkus makes a great point that I completely zoned out on. While your install may have been legal many years ago, it's not something that's allowed by code anymore because of the fire hazard risk from say, a blanket that is in proximity to the bulb, and the bulb getting turned on accidentally.

I'm glad you're getting an electrician in. Just make sure he puts in an allowed fixture, rather than simply replacing the bulbholder.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here