Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Range wiring eccentricity

Posted by oxfordmom (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 14, 09 at 12:38

Okay, so I am not sure if this is strange or not but since a lot of the wiring in our house seems to have been by a three year old I was hoping that you all could give me some guidance.
We have a separate cooktop and wall oven, each of which is wired to its own breaker. However, each is wired to two 30 Amp circuits- e.g. the cooktop is wired to 10 and 12 on the panel and the oven is wired to 9 and 11 on the panel . Our new range that we want to install requires 40 amps. My question is this: do two 30 Amp circuits equal a 60 amp circuit or do we need to get the whole thing redone to support the new range?
I am calling in an electrician for a separate wiring issue in the kitchen so I am having him look at this as well, but I was hoping to have some idea of whether I am looking at additional expenditures for this as well. Not to mention, is this to code or do we have another strange wiring job on out hands? Thank you all for your time and I hope you can help me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Range wiring eccentricity

Perfectly normal for a range and separate cook top. You will need a new 40 or 50 amp circuit ran. Don't let the electrician attempt to raise the breaker or combine the 2, a very few out there would and it would be far from meeting code.

o

Well that's not at all what I was hoping to hear, but thanks for your response! I guess we can give the electrician a little more money.

o

Two breakers supplying 30 amps is not a 60 amp circuit. It is a 240 volt 30 amp circuit.
You new stove will likely require a 8/3 cable and 40 amp ciruit. If one of the cable is #8 then the breaker can be changed. Otherwise a new cable is needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here