Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ground connection to outlets in old metal junction box

Posted by ionized (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 12:37

I have two small metal junction boxes with duplex outlets in them with no ground sockets. They are the same circuit with one "dead end" and and one is in the middle of the run. There is grounded cable coming into the boxes and the bare ground conductor is looped under the screw for the integral clamp. For the box in the middle of the run, the two ground conductors are twisted together extensively, maybe two inches of their length.

I want to put grounded outlets in here. What are the proper ways to connect the ground to the outlet?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ground connection to outlets in old metal junction box

You must use listed connectors to connect the ground wires together (i.e., wire nuts). Twisting alone is not sufficient. You must connect the ground wire to the device (except for certain devices specifically designed to ground themselves to the mount). You must use some approved method of grounding the metal box. Using the device mounting screws is NOT one these.

o
RE: ground connection to outlets in old metal junction box

Thanks, This is going to be more difficult than I had hoped. The house was built in 1949 and I suspect that the second or third owner put in, or re-cabled, the circuit that I am describing. That was probably in the 1960s and he was an electrician. Was simple twisting of the grounds permissible at any time?

Obviously, I'd like to improve the situation while installing the grounded receptacles, I don't, however, want to separate the metal boxes from the studs and install new ones. I have to check more carefully to be sure about the box attachment, but I don't think that they are a type that clip on to the cement board/plaster.

Is there a clip that I can use to properly ground the old metal box? I recall mention of them. There may be room in the box for a wire nut, but these are small boxes. :-(

The circuit powers some outlets and lights in adjacent rooms, but I've removed an outdoor outlet and two indoor outlets from it. (They are now part of a new circuit.) The two indoor sockets had a single, green ground wire and a two-conductor cable leading to a junction box in the crawlspace. The ground wires were twisted together there and corroded badly. At least the twisted grounds inside the house are clean-looking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here