Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick question about wiring on an exterior wall

Posted by zachslc (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 07 at 12:36

I have the black and decker book but it does not quite answer my question and the NEC is just a little too dense for my amateur knowledge. I am pretty confident with interior wiring, but I have a question about materials and code compliance on an exterior wall. On the south side of my house I want to add a light fixture and a GFCI. The walls are brick and concrete (1920s construction) I am going to cut into the brick to mount the (metal?) boxes, but what I am not sure about is what I have to do to get the romex (which I can use, right?) o the boxes. From the back of the boxes to the inside of the wall there will be about 3 inches. Do I need a conduit here? In short, my question is what do i need to do to get the wire from the inside to the outside? The boxes on the outside will be well about the ground--6 or 7 feet and under a roof overhang.

Can I just use the regular metal or PVC outdoor boxes, obviously with appropriate covers and outdoor lights?

Can I use regular romex?

What kind of conduit and/or seal do I need to connect to the boxes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick question about wiring on an exterior wall

you could save yourself some trouble and use a surface mount exterior box, then just drill through for your wire.

if i am not mistaken, you should use uf-b because it would be classified as a damp location.

o

Thanks, but I am pretty set on not using surface mount boxes. I want it to look clean. It is easy enough to cut out the brick.

Do you know if I need conduit?

o

"From the back of the boxes to the inside of the wall there will be about 3 inches"

Of what? More brick? Concrete? Insulation? Normally, if you run cable from inside the house to receptacles on the outside wall, NM is used. NM isn't supposed to be in conduit. However, there are some exceptions I've seen mentioned here.

o

3 inches of basically mortar and plaster. The walls are solid brick with concrete/mortar on the inside then plaster. There is no hollow space.

So if I use NM what kind of seal do I need to use between the wire and the box?

Thanks for being patient with me.

o

Running NM from the interior of the house through the brick/stucco/mortar/concrete/volcanic pumice/whatever is fine. You'll need a box connector on the rear of the box where the NM enters. You can put a bead of silicone along the rear top of the box if you want. I'd fill the hole in the wall at the rear of the box with good old Duxseal, the same stuff you'd use on service entrance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here