Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691163

Any electricians here today?

User
9 years ago

We've got an odd problem.

Two years ago we put on an addition to our house and had a licensed electrician do all the wiring so it would all be done right and to code. We thought we might want to add a pergola over the back porch at some time, so we had him put in the wiring for it with a switch inside and an outlet in the soffit just outside the door.

We've never used that outlet until this year when I decided to put Christmas lights, C9 LEDs, around back and plugged them into that outlet. When I turned off the switch inside, the bulbs were still glowing - not as bright as when the switch was on, but not off either.

When the electrician was wiring the switches by the back door, there is a one-way for the porch light, a three-way for the kitchen lights, the one-way for this outlet, and a one-way sliding dimmer for the dining light. I bought all the switches and outlets before he came and for the three-way, I bought a lighted switch so I could find it when I walked in the dark house. But when it came time to wire that one, he couldn't find it so used a non-lighted one he had with him.

However, the one-way switch to this outside outlet has a light in it, and the only lighted switch I bought was for the three-way. So, could he have accidently wired the three way to that outlet, and if so, would it make the Christmas lights dim but not go out when the switch is turned off?

Or is it something else entirely?

Comments (6)