Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wiring through wall . . .

Posted by pharkus (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 7, 09 at 11:59

Alright, my copy of the NEC exists only in digital form, and I currently don't have physical access to the drive it's on. Thus I ask here.

Another thread has brought this subject into mind.

We're not allowed to run an appliance power cord through a wall, or an extension cord for that matter. How, exactly, is that worded in the NEC? Does it just bar us from running certain types of wire through walls?

The exact question in the other thread relates to a TV. Most modern TVs have detachable power cords, and I'm wondering is if some company makes (or could make) a replacement power cord that's made out of a type of wire/cable suitable for passing through walls. With all these flat-screen wall-mounted TVs I'm seeing now, it would be a sensible product.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wiring through wall . . .

Permanent wiring must be one of the 'approved types,' and flexible cords are not approved for concealed permanent wiring.

The approved types for permanent wiring in concealed locations are also not approved for use as cords.

o
RE: Wiring through wall . . .

From The 2008 NEC
400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings
(4) Where attached to building surfaces

Nothing in 400.7 allows what you'e looking for

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here