Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CF floodlight bulbs - experiences?

Posted by hrajotte (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 23, 09 at 11:47

I am considering Sylvania CF outdoor floodlight bulbs, 23 watts. I realize these bulbs function best in warmth, even though they are spec'd to start in temps as low as 0 degrees F.
I'd like to "go green" by saving energy, but good illumination is also important.
Can anyone share experiences, good or bad, with these, or comparable CF bulbs? Any recommendations or alternatives?
Currently, I have two 150W floodlight bulbs in a motion sensing fixture. With the low energy use of CF bulbs, I would install a dusk-to-dawn sensor instead. This would prevent the bulbs from frequent cycling, which I understand is not good for CF's.
TIA for any advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sylvania floodlight bulb info

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CF floodlight bulbs - experiences?

I sort of have a couple cheap ones from home depot in the 65 watt equivalent wattage ,,, seen to last forever. I know they're over 2 yrs old on a photo cell. Actually bought the R40 style indoor bulb.. replacing par38' cf's , hey they're under a eve.

Look inside the bulb its the standard twisted cf fluorescent in a glass wrapper with some silver paint for the reflector. My temps don't drop often below freezing but those bulbs always seem to start and work fine. That outer envelope keeps the heat enough to let the twisty bulb wall temp reach full brilliancy when it is cold and windy out.

Work just fine for me.

o

Try a couple. The biggest I've seen were 23 watt. I lit my backyard with them for a while but got tired of the 2-3 minute warm-up time and switched the fixtures out to one's that take a 26 watt pl type tube. The fixtures including the bulb ran about $40. If your's are dusk-to-dawn warm up is not a problem.

o

Thanks for the comments. I think I will try the Sylvania CF's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here