Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

add an outlet

andrelaplume2
14 years ago

Imagine if you will.....we have an area under our stairway that will be converted for storage. At the far end, at the highest point, extending out about 5 feet is our Heat pump blower, humidifier etc. Recently this heat pump was added and I had them run a new outlet from the breaker box to this area to service a humidfier and a dehumidifer and a Freezer that actually sits a few fgeet away under the stairs. The new outlet is fed by an 'orange' wire.

I want to now box in the heat pump equip area. That will result in a wall separating the equip (where the outlet for the freezer is) from freezer. I'd like to run a new outlet from the current box approx 3 feet away and into this new wall to feed the freezer.

Do I need to run the wire from the current box to the new box thru a pipe to protect it? Other pre-existing outlets in my unfinished basement all drop from the ceiling to an outlet box with the wire inside a 3/4" or so pipe. Interestingly the new 'orange' wire that drops from the ceiling to the recently added outlet is not encapsulated in any pipe...and it passed the inspection.

I just want to do this as safely as possible.

______

...........!__

..............!__

.................!__

.....................!__

....outlet..............!__

...........................!__

..............................!__

Equip. ! Freezer

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design