Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type wire to use from transfer switch to outdoor outlet

Posted by brjl (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 1, 09 at 11:23

I have installed a Connecticut Electric transfer switch for my generator (7500 watt) to my breaker panel and now I want to run wire from the switch 60 feet inside the house and hook up to an outlet (30 amp) that will be attached to an exterier wall of the house. I have purchase a rain tight outlet box, the only thing I need to do is run the wire into the back of it from the basement.
The question is, I purchased 10/3 NM-B with ground wire, the wire has a white, black, red, and un-cased ground. Would this be the correct wire to use? I had the impression that I needed 10/4 wire, with the ground wire cased,(green) but the Home Depot person stated that since this is an interior installation, that the 10/3 is what I need. Is the 10/3 wire correct? The transfer swich has a red, black, white and green wire to hook to.

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type wire to use from transfer switch to outdoor outlet

That is exactly what you need, you're good to go.

Be sure to seal the back of the box to the house very well. Some people will argue that the back of that box is considered "outside" and romex shouldn't be used there lol.

o

Are you really intending to backfeed an OUTLET, or do you actually have a proper inlet for your application?

o

Sorry, I believe the box on the outside of the house is an inlet.

Anyway, thanks very much for the information, great site.

Brian

o

There's no prohibition on NM (Romex) being used outside. Perhaps you mean "wet locations".

o

Seal the exterior box around the top and sides to the wall and you no longer have a wet location.

Leave the bottom joint open for condensation escape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here