Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sourcing LV cables (strong) to hang pendants from

Posted by davidro1 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 17, 10 at 11:12

I've seen systems with a cable under mechanical tension spanning ten or twenty feet. Ikea sells systems like this. The cable is visible, and it's the only support for hanging 12V pendants. The Ikea cable is copper with a coating (it looks like tin).

I'd like to make another series of low voltage lights on a cable, and not buy the Ikea kit.

Where can I buy copper cable, coated?
Tin-coated braided copper wire.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sourcing LV cables (strong) to hang pendants from

Probbaly no were less expensive then the kit.

o

You might try Waytek Wire. They seem to have a fair quantity of specialized products. Note that I have no experience with the company, just know of them. This is not an endorsement, et cetera.

Here is a link that might be useful: Waytek Wire

o

You may want to Google "trapeze wiring" but it seems to be much more popular in the UK than here in the US, although I do have two sets with lighting fixtures, that I purchased at Home Depot.

As brickeyee alluded to, the kit from Ikea may be much more economical than finding the cable by itself.

o

searching with
Low Voltage Trapeze Wire OR Lighting
I find :
It can cost about a dollar a foot.
It is common in Australia.
It is indeed the term for the cable used in these exposed situations,
i.e. 12V, stretched taut and carrying a mechanical load.

At Waytek, a selection of wires and cable, including marine wire, UL wire, speaker cables is here:
http://order.waytekwire.com/category2/M50/360/Wire And Cable/

I'll send them an email asking which cable is the right one for the description above.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here