Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trouble rewiring a wall sconce

Posted by saypoint (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 7, 09 at 11:03

I'm rewiring a couple of brass wall sconces for my powder room. Each sconce has two metal arms terminating in candelabra sockets.

The first one went OK with a little wax on the wire to ease it through, but when I started rewiring the second sconce, I found that I couldn't get the new wire (lamp cord) through the narrow arm. There appeared to be a blockage inside, and a closer inspection revealed a small patch of what looked like a brazed repair on the arm where a hole was made and then closed up. The old wire was hard to get out, which should have tipped me off to the problem. I'm thinking this was because the original assembler or previous re-wirer had the same problem.

I thought I could open up and then patch the hole and touch it up with metallic paint or something after wiring. I used a dremel tool to remove the patch and what appeared to be a blob of excess brass under it, but I still can't get the wire through. There appears to be another narrow spot further along the arm, which is about 7 inches or so long and "S" shaped. The second arm on this sconce has a similar patch on it, but I haven't removed the old (still working) wire yet.

I'm now sorry I ever started rewiring, as they worked OK before, but I'm redecorating in there and thought replacing the old wire would be safer.

Is there another type of wire that is narrower that can be used to wire these? Any suggestions on how to get this fixed would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trouble rewiring a wall sconce

OK, I was able to find some lamp cord at the hardware store that had slightly thinner insulation on it, and was able to get it through with some difficulty, pushing on one end, prying with a tiny screwdriver in the hole I made, and pulling with my teeth on the other end. Hey, when you're working alone, you do what you have to do. Several dings to my fingers later, it's through.

After trimming off the damaged areas with the pry- and teeth-marks, it is now operational. Finding a way to repair the hole I made is the new problem.

Jo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here