Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor extension cords

Posted by jimrac (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 11, 09 at 11:03

Is this really needed, we have had an outdoor receptacle recently installed so we can run an extension cord for spot lights used for the holidays.

Is it necesssary to cover the cords up?? I was thinking about using some pvc or something,, but its probably overkill and a waste of money. Just lay on the snow,, and dont worry about it???

We are only talking about a length of about 40-50 feet or so..

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor extension cords

Should be fine as the cord is made for wet conditions, the extension cord manufactures just cover themselves with a 90 day rule (which is all the cord is made to be used for at one time. A cord left out being used for a not so temporary use, would become a hazard.

o

Ok great, thank uou spencer

o

I've been using a combination of OUTDOOR (orange) cords and indoor (brown/white ones) for years. I usuall chuch the indoor ones ever few years and buy new ones...they are cheap...is this safe...never questined it until now....what could happen?

o

If the insulation cracks and someone touches the wire they could get shocked. The conductors could also start arching to each other which might possibly set dry leaves on fire, etc.

I'm not saying it is very dangerous, but there is some danger. Chances are nothing will ever happen.

You can go to Lowes or HD and buy 25' orange cords for about $7. They are pretty rugged for the price.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here