Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrtle_59

Is it feasible to put a timer on ceiling light switch?

myrtle_59
10 years ago

We have a greatroom with can lights in ceiling. The most convenient thing for when we are on vacation would be to have a timer that turns the ceiling lights on and off 5-11 just as we do every night when we are home. Is this easily done? Right now it is a double switch plate, on controls fan, one all ceiling lights.

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• User
    10 years ago

There are plenty of hardwired timer/switches you can install on the light circuit.

I found one online, you can find plenty more.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• User
    10 years ago

I should have asked about the lights. CFLs? Incandescants? Check the timer you buy to make sure they are compatible.

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

I notice on some of the plug in timers, it says cfl compatible. Why wouldnt any timer work with a cfl bulb? And conversely, if it works with cfl, can i count on it to work with an old incandesecent?

Finally, one dusk to dawn insert said max 100 watt when bulb is upright, max 60 watt when hanging down. Any idea why the differnce?

And... Cfl's arent really 60 ro 100 watts they are equivalent to those wattages arent they? So do the maximums apply there?

THANKS

• User
    10 years ago

If it says CFL, yes incandescent would be fine.

The down vs up is to do the heat.

CFLs rated at 40W is the "equivalent" to the incandescent. They'll draw much lower (10-14W).

The fixture maximum is in real watts so use the actual CFL wattage as your guide, not the "equivalent".

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

" Why wouldnt any timer work with a cfl bulb?"
    An incandescent has a sturdy digestive system. It can handle any power fed to it so long as the voltage is not much more than the rated voltage. The CFL will develop serious digestive problems ( potentially fatal ) if fed any diet that differs from the design parameters. Some timers supply suitable outputs and some do not.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

There are two kinds of timers typically on the market. One kind uses a TRIAC (a device also used in electronic dimmers) to control the light. Many non-incandescent loads such as CFLs can cause bizarre behavior on these (I won't get into the reasons, but they're less spectacular than bus_driver would describe). It can cause the lights to just flicker when they should be OFF, for example.

The other kind just uses a motorized switch. It therefore can pretty much control anything that a switch can control (motors, CFL's, low voltage lights).

Another thing to check. Some of the fancier electronic timers need a NEUTRAL in the box to work. This may not be present in older houses. Other timers either use a battery to run the timer part (or are purely mechanical...tick tick tick tick) and don't have the issue.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

There are two kinds of timers typically on the market. One kind uses a TRIAC (a device also used in electronic dimmers) to control the light. Many non-incandescent loads such as CFLs can cause bizarre behavior on these (I won't get into the reasons, but they're less spectacular than bus_driver would describe). It can cause the lights to just flicker when they should be OFF, for example.

The other kind just uses a motorized switch. It therefore can pretty much control anything that a switch can control (motors, CFL's, low voltage lights).

Another thing to check. Some of the fancier electronic timers need a NEUTRAL in the box to work. This may not be present in older houses. Other timers either use a battery to run the timer part (or are purely mechanical...tick tick tick tick) and don't have the issue.

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

Here is one report.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fire

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. I had no idea.