Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schutz2106

Square D QO 200 AMP Panel

schutz2106
11 years ago

Going into a house that has a 100 amp panel and I want a 200 A panel. During negotiations ( I was trying to get them to put in a panel before selling) they agreed to buy a panel, extra breakers, etc to sell the house. What they bought is a QO3040M200VP 200 amp 30 space panel. Almost the same panel that is in my current house. Any problems with these panels??? Not putting it in myself,will have a lic. electrician.
Thanks

Comments (16)

• bus_driver
    11 years ago

While I would have chosen the 40 space panel, in all other respects that panel would be my first choice for my personal residence.

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

I concur with bus_driver. The QO panel was the mainstay of all the commercial work I ever did and what I upgraded the panel in one house to (40 spaces would be nicer, but unless you're required to upgrade to AFCI for most of the circuits, you can still use the tandems).

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

"Going into a house that has a 100 amp panel and I want a 200 A panel. During negotiations ( I was trying to get them to put in a panel before selling)"

Was there something wrong with the original panel? WHY would you make the sellers responsible for this upgrade??

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Changing just the panel doesn't actually change the service, does it?

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

I don't think the OP knows anything other than they WANT a 200A panel. And they want it for free.

• schutz2106
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well now I found out why I get frustrated with message boards. What I asked was opinions on the panel, not who or why I would have someone else buy it. And I know you cant pop a new panel in and poof- you have 200 A service.

• schutz2106
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And I not trying to come off pi$$y or anthing. It just seems that if you have knowledge and want to share your knowledge that is great. But dont throw the other crap in there. You read some of these boards and its nuts the stuff that doesnt matter seems to take over some of the posts.

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

So you never answered why you think it is the seller's responsibility to buy you a new 200A panel.

Oh, and QO is TOP quality, but I hate them.

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

Depends what was there before. If there was a ITE or FP panel or frankly even some goofball thing that's still supported but otherwise a pain like a Silvania/Zinsco I'd have it replaced if I could talk the seller into eating the cost.

I'd rather take a QO, or a CH, or even GE panel every day over some of those other basket cases.

• hrajotte
    11 years ago

"Smithy" would be delighted with this panel choice.

• schutz2106
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I suppose it isnt the sellers responsibility to buy a new panel. But in the negotiations that is what ended up selling the house. They agreed to it and that is what finally brought us together to put a sold sign out front.

• fredsoldhouse
    11 years ago

Negotiations can and often do include anything agreed to by both parties. I recently sold a house and made three repairs. Two were justified. One was a complete waste of $. But, it sold my house.
    Had they asked for a weekend in Nantucket I would have thrown that in too as long as I got my price :)

• petey_racer
    11 years ago

I don't get it.
    How is spending (potentially) a few thousand dollars on frivolous repairs demanded of a seller "getting your price"???

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

How is demanding 200A service upgrade (presuming he wants more than just the panel but also the upgraded service) frivolous. In addition, it sounds like based on it said "negotiation" that this was well in advance of a contract being set down and not something that he's hanging over the seller at the last minute after some dubious inspection report.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

It's because we're in a down housing market and buyers can ask for whatever they'd like. When the market was up, I heard of cases where buyers were paying more than the asking price (essentially a bidding war with other buyers).

I sold a house a number of years ago and despite an accurate seven page disclosure form, the home inspector said the water heater, roof, and heater were old. No kidding, says that right on pages 3, 4, and 6. Then they wanted $25,000 to replace everything. On the high end everything would have cost $10-12,000.

Ever try to sell a car? What part of used and "as is" confuses people? ;-)

• btharmy
    11 years ago

The seller providing the panel and breakers was a smart move on their part. That is less than a couple hundred dollars. Don't expect a huge price savings when you tell the electrician you are providing the panel and breakers.It will most likely be less than 10% of the total cost of the upgrade. The contractor will not warranty any parts that he/she doesn't supply. I won't anyway. That is the last thing I want to hear from a potential customer. "How much will I save if I provide all of the material?" I told one guy to go ahead and make up a material list so I could confirm he had everything I needed to do the job. He had no idea what to buy or where to get it.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations