Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aluminum soffit pot light installation help

Posted by jay_haitch (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 7, 09 at 10:13

I want to add extra outdoor pot lights (non IC) in the soffits. They are ventilated prepainted aluminum. I want to add fixtures in two areas: attached garage which is unfinished, so I can access the existng NMD wire, and front of the house where I hope to take power off an existing pot light. Current fixtures are Juno TC2 6 inch.

1. I assume I must use a remodel housing non IC type fixture? I can cut the aluminum with tin snips.
2. How do I run wire from the existing pot light for the front of the house? How can I access the existing pot light?
3. Can I run armoured cable along the soffit to the next light? I assume NMD would not have enough physical protection to just be laying on top of the soffit panel.
4. I want to insulate the garage at some point. Can I use a junction box in the future attic space as long it's above the level of proposed insulation? I don't think it's approved to have insulation over a junction box.

I want to try as hard as I can not to have to remove the aluminum to do these additions. The front soffits are 20 ft high, so I hope to minimize the amount of time I'm clambering up a 28 ft ladder. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aluminum soffit pot light installation help

The existing can light should have 3 or 4 screws near the face of it to unscrew and push the can into the soffit. Then you can get to the junction box and hopefully send a fish tape or fiberglass rods to the hole for the new light. If you have attic near by, it is a lot easier. Just push a fish tape or sometimes the wire itself towards the house and go to the attic to hopefully find it there.

Keep your junction box above the insulation. No need for armored cable, just romex is fine.

You might have a hard time attaching a remodel can to a flimsy thin aluminum surface. If it will hold a self tapping screw, maybe screw the lip of the can to the aluminum. May also have to use construction adhesive. The tension clips are not going to have much to grab like they do in a sheetrock ceiling.

o

Great tips. Thanks! I forgot about the fibreglass rods. I've seen but never used them. I also wouldn't have thought about construction adhesive. Glue & screw, just like woodworking :) I'll have to wait till spring now though. I have no interest in being 20 ft up a ladder in -25C.

o

Those fiberglass fish sticks are a nice thing to have but they can be a little expensive for occasional use. They sell little reflectors on a stick for the end of the driveway for about two bucks. Just cut off the reflector and you have a simple fish stick

o

That's a fabulous idea! I've got them at my driveway edge right now. I think that would work better than fish tape, but it would make sense to have both available. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here