Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jay_haitch

Aluminum soffit pot light installation help

jay_haitch
14 years ago

I want to add extra outdoor pot lights (non IC) in the soffits. They are ventilated prepainted aluminum. I want to add fixtures in two areas: attached garage which is unfinished, so I can access the existng NMD wire, and front of the house where I hope to take power off an existing pot light. Current fixtures are Juno TC2 6 inch.

1. I assume I must use a remodel housing non IC type fixture? I can cut the aluminum with tin snips.

2. How do I run wire from the existing pot light for the front of the house? How can I access the existing pot light?

3. Can I run armoured cable along the soffit to the next light? I assume NMD would not have enough physical protection to just be laying on top of the soffit panel.

4. I want to insulate the garage at some point. Can I use a junction box in the future attic space as long it's above the level of proposed insulation? I don't think it's approved to have insulation over a junction box.

I want to try as hard as I can not to have to remove the aluminum to do these additions. The front soffits are 20 ft high, so I hope to minimize the amount of time I'm clambering up a 28 ft ladder. Thanks!

Comments (4)