Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
outdoor wiring questions

Posted by Evo_Lution (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 10:01

Hi guys new here, I apologize in advance if this has been gone over several times before. OK so I am planning on running cable to a new outlet on a post about 100 feet from my main panel, I am planning on using a new 20amp breaker, I am trying to figure out what type of cable (UF or seperate strands) and how many? I have heard that UF is the cheapest way to go but I'm not sure if it will work for me, It will be under a concrete slab which is not there yet, It will be just for the receptacle for now but eventually I will have some sort of light for a basketball court and a few low wattage garden lights, and a gazebo that will need power so I want a setup that will be suitable for that in the future, let me know if there is anything I am leaving out and I will try to explain as well as possible

Thanks in advance for your help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: outdoor wiring questions

You've pretty much got it. UF (I assume the slab is the basketball court) will be the cheapest and adequate. Wire isn't all that expensive and the labor of pulling two incrementally is almost nothing, I might be inclined to pull an extra to the far side of the slab for future expansion.

o

Does the UF have to be in conduit all the way or can I just do it where it goes into and comes out of the ground? And what size/ how many(12/2, 10/3ect)?

o

No UF is not placed into conduit except for places it needs to be protected from damage (i.e., as it comes out of the ground). With 100' 12/2 would be fine for a 20A circuit. You could use 10/3 for a MWBC to get a second circuit.

o

Ok thanks

o

Ok thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here