Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Receiving very bad shocks - Please help - Cooktop

Posted by Patrice492 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 9:45

Hello:
Recently we replaced our electrical cooktop with a new unit. The new cooktop was a bit smaller in size than the hole on the countertop, so a bracket was made. This bracket is metal & is evenly fitted along the edges of the cooktop. My problem arrives after I have used the cooktop. The cooktop is off & has cooled, so I wipe it down, the moment my hands touch the metal edging I get this sharp shock. Sometimes while washing my dishes (sink is within 2 ft of cooktop and I pick up a pot off the stove or brush my hand near the edging - I get this shock that runs right up my arms. Last night, it ran thru both arms - I was washing silverware at the time. This thing is scaring me so much. Is it just something that needs to be grounded or is the metal edging around the stovetop creating more problems. I love the looks of this - but am afraid of use it. ANy advise is greatfully apprieciated. Thanks


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Receiving very bad shocks - Please help - Cooktop

If you mean more than just a single shock like when you scuff your shoes on the rug and touch something metal (i.e., soemthing that persists as long as you are in contact with the unit)...Please go down and turn off the breaker to the cooktop. You have a serious installation error here or defect in the unit (or both). The exposed metal should be bonded to ground which will both keep you from getting a shock but also trip the breaker when something energizes the unit like this.

Have a qualified person come in and check it out.


 o
RE: Receiving very bad shocks - Please help - Cooktop

Oh ya - its like a shock Ive never felt before. I think it has something to do with the metal edging - not the cooktop at all.


 o
RE: Receiving very bad shocks - Please help - Cooktop

You're not experiencing a shock when you touch the cooking surface because the cooking surface is glass which is an electrical insulator. As Ron said, turn off the breaker IMMEDIATELY and DO NOT use the unit until it has been inspected by a qualified person.

This post was edited by mike_kaiser on Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 12:12


 o
RE: Receiving very bad shocks - Please help - Cooktop

THIS THING IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!! DO NOT USE!!!


 o
RE: Receiving very bad shocks - Please help - Cooktop

The cooktop is definitely something to worry about, but when you get a licensed electrician in to fix it have him or her check out all that is going on in the backsplash. Before you turn the breaker for the cooktop blank out that receptacle and forget about it.


 o
RE: Receiving very bad shocks - Please help - Cooktop

Eh? It's a dumb place to put it, but I can guess that it's a required receptacle because they didn't place sufficient ones to the left and right of the cooktop.
The scary thing is what is that cord heading vertically from the receptacle?


 o
RE: Receiving very bad shocks - Please help - Cooktop

210.52(C)(1)Exception makes it not required. As pictured in the top of this thread it is a dangerous but attractive nuisance.


 o
RE: Receiving very bad shocks - Please help - Cooktop

You can't say that without knowing if there are other receptacles covering the required areas *OTHER THAN THE WHERE THE COOKTOP IS*. Your suggestion to just cover that one up is ILLEGAL unless the countertops to the right and left meet the requirements of 210.52.


 o
RE: Receiving very bad shocks - Please help - Cooktop

What I can say is this: I am a professional firefighter with over 30 years of experience in a medium sized department. We are not particularly busy, but we generally arrive at an address within 5 minutes of an alarm notification. I have been to two separate fatal fires in daylight hours where an adult female occupant was the sole victim and the cause was clothing ignited by the top of a stove. I'm not sure about the source of power in one of the incidents but the other involved an electric range. Property damage in both cases was limited to smoke and water so it's not like they were trapped in something that turned into an inferno. There was no alcohol or drug involvement and no physical or mental deficiency or disability.


 o
RE: Receiving very bad shocks - Please help - Cooktop

So, that still doesn't justifying making one unsafe situation into another unsafe situation. The electrical codes exist for fire safety as well (they are authored by the National Fire Protection Association). You can not just cap off those receptacles unless there are sufficient other receptacles. The argument is that people will run extension cords to make the appliances work on the areas no longer served. Having an extension cord running across the back of the cooktop doesn't make your idea a whole lot safer.


 o
RE: Receiving very bad shocks - Please help - Cooktop

The plug & cords on the back wall have nothing to do with the cooktop. The cooktop is all wired underneath, I do have an electrician coming out soon. Seems that only water (wet hands or a dish rag) cause a shock and only when in contact with the metal edging.


 o
RE: Receiving very bad shocks - Please help - Cooktop

We're not arguing that. It was silly to put the outlet there, but it may have to stay. The scary thing is what is that wire running UP the wall from the receptacle behind the cooktop.

Water or not, coming in contact with exposed metal on an appliance shouldn't cause a shock. My guess is that this doesn't have a proper ground (legal in certain groundfather places) and the groundED conductor has some issue with it but anything is possible.


 o
RE: Receiving very bad shocks - Please help - Cooktop

That cord is the plug for the range/hood, it plugs into that receptical.


 o
RE: Receiving very bad shocks - Please help - Cooktop

The outlet for a range/hood should be up behind said range/hood, not down on the backsplash.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here