Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Undercabinet Wiring Questions

Posted by _brian (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 31, 10 at 9:27

Long-time viewer, first-time poster.
I have some Xenon undercabinet light fixtures to install, and I have a question about the wiring. We have electrical whips that come out of the drywall right underneath the cabinets. I'd like to put the fixtures in the middle or front of the under-side of the cabinet, but that may make the whips slightly visible.

The fixtures have knockouts for the whips, but does anybody know if it would be acceptable to just pull the wires from the whip, and leave the wires exposed between the drywall and the fixture?

Also, we have one section where we have to connect three fixtures to only one whip. Since there are knockouts on the back and sides of the fixtures, I initially planned on running the whip into the back of the center fixture, and have whips out both side of the fixture attached to the other 2 fixtures. Does anybody know if it would be acceptable to just run the wires off that center fixture to the other 2 fixtures (as opposed to whips)?

I want to make sure the wiring is safe, but at the same time, the 1/2 inch metal electrical whips won't look nice if they're visible at all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Undercabinet Wiring Questions

"...would be acceptable to just pull the wires from the whip, and leave the wires exposed between the drywall and the fixture?"

Even NM cable is allowed exposure if it is not 'likely' to be damaged, and the bottom of a cabinet is not a likely damage location.

You could also conceal it in any one of a number of plastic covers designed for the purpose.

o

No it is not acceptable. All connections must be in boxes. Single wires are not permitted to be exposed. They must be in a cable or conduit.

o

"and the bottom of a cabinet is not a likely damage location. "

maybe in your opinion (which to be brutally honest doesn't matter much since you are not this person's AHJ).

No inspector around here would allow it.

o

"No inspector around here would allow it."

Sounds like a really stupid inspector.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here