Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wiring Branch Circuit and Box Fill

Posted by mark_anderson_us (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 9:24

Hi All

About to embark on rewire of first floor of my house and much of second floor while I can EMT between floors (don't ask: chicago).

I'll be running 3/4 EMT in basement with stub ups to outlets. There are some locations where I could feed a good lenght of EMT through stud wall (near door openings) and I wanted to check that the porposed wiring plan was OK and if there are any special calculations of the proposed plan. Below is a link to the plan.

http://www.anderson-mark.com/Photos/images/OutletWiring.jpg

Is there any issue branching off to 3 receptacles and then branching off to another (or another run of 3)?

Box fill

I want to check I'm interpreting the NEC box fill correctly. If I have 12/2 that passes through unbroken it counts as two. If another 12/2 comes in, is pigtailed to an outlet and then exits too (i.e. it branches like the two in the basement in above diagram), it counts as 6. All grounds count as 1. Do the cable clamps where the EMT enters the box count as 1 as well?

Thanks

mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wiring Branch Circuit and Box Fill

"Do the cable clamps where the EMT enters the box count as 1 as well?"

Only internal box cable clamps count (used for AC and NM) and if you are using EMT you should not have any.

The EMT to box fastener is external (the lock nut and small protrusion into the box do NOT count).

o

Just curious...

To follow up on Brick's comment: Since you mention "12/2" and cable clamps, are you pulling cables in the EMT or single conductors (e.g., THHN)? If you're using NM (a.k.a. "Romex") or MC/AC (a.k.a. "BX"), why?

o

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm pulling single THHN in EMT. Has to be rigid for local code.

Regards

Mark

o

Your using EMT there will be no cable clamps.
Yes it counts as 6.

If you pull more than 9 wires in any conduit you need to derate them.

o

joed
It is simply not true that: If you pull more than 9 wires in any conduit you need to derate them. there is way too much electrical misinformation out there already, so please stop saying things that are just not true.

o

I have an additional question about box fill calculations. In the OP's example - 12/2 passing through unbroken, 12/2 entering, pigtailed to outlet and then exiting - would the count be 9 in this case? (A single yoke receptacle counting as 2, ground as 1)

Would this be the maximum for a 4 x 1.5 square box?

o

"joed
It is simply not true that: If you pull more than 9 wires in any conduit you need to derate them. there is way too much electrical misinformation out there already, so please stop saying things that are just not true."

That's a whole other post for another day.

o

"Would this be the maximum for a 4 x 1.5 square box?"

Referring to NEC Table 314.16(A), the volume of a trade size 4 x 4 x 1.5 box is listed as being only 21 cubic inches. 9 units (wires + fixtures) at #12AWG requires 20.25 ci so, yeah, it's basically full.

o

Mark, this question and many more are answered in the classic Wiring Simplified. If you don't have a copy, I suggest getting one right away. It helped me get started many years ago, and I still refer to it today.

As usual, the link is for reference and not an endorsement. Home Depot used to carry this book and may still.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiring Simplified

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here