Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Self-contained switch

Posted by cambriahouse (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 9:22

Hello:

I am remodelling our kitchen and trying to avoid any receptacles or switches in the backsplash. I have searched the forums here and have found the answer for the receptacles, which is the Sillites. These are 1 3/4" round direct-wire receptacles that I will install in a wood strip above the backsplash.

I have 2 wall switches currently in the backsplash. My question is: does anyone know of a similar direct-wire (no outlet box) switch available that would be roughly the same size as the Sillites receptacles? I would like to place these switches in the wood strip above the backsplash. They don't have to be round but should be 2" or smaller diameter or 2" x 2" square/rectangular or smaller.

Thank you
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self-contained switch

Not aware of any, of course you can remote switches by putting a low voltage button somewhere convenient and the switch/relay that it controls in a box elsewhere.

The other option is the airswitch. This is commonly used for garbage disposal. A small round button can be mounted just about anywhere. Depressing it sends a puff of air through plastic tubing to a remote mounted box that has a receptacle built in.

o
RE: Self-contained switch

Self-contained devices are used in the manufactured housing industry. Standing to be corrected, I think those are UL listed only for manufactured housing. The ones that I have seen will save very little space over conventional box and device installations. Special tools are almost mandatory for installing the conductors into the slots without damaging the spring tension of the slots.
Several manufacturers supply them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Self-contained

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here