Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dryer wire size

Posted by ipenovice (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 14, 09 at 8:42

I am moving my laundry room and was planning on running 10-3/wg wire to the dryer. I was told that since the dryer is going to be just about 50 feet from the main panel, that I should run 8-3 w/g instead. Is this correct? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dryer wire size

Not neccessary. 30' is not a long distance. 10/3 on 30 amp breaker is fine.

o

Agree. With a 50 foot 240V run, you'll experience very little voltage drop. For a standard dryer, bumping to #8 is a waste of money.

Just out of curiosity, where'd you get this advice?

o

terribletom,

I got the advise from an electrician that said since I have a high end dryer which draws a bit more than a standard dryer and since the run was going to be 50 feet, I should consider the #8. I am all for saving money, but not where electric is involved. I am adding this run while my walls are all stripped bare for the remodel. Can't change it later without tearing everything up. I am just in the planning stage and want to have all my ducks in a row. If you feel #10 will work with no issues, I will use it. Just want to make sure. thanks for the respone.

o

Around 75+ feet you need to go with the next lower gauge of wire. High end dryer or not, if it's rated 30A, then #10 is fine as everyone has already stated. Either your sparky has forgotten his voltage drop distances, or he's trying to use up his extra stove wire instead of buying more dryer wire.

o

Thanks bigbird. Your response made me LOL. He probably does have a roll of #8 sitting around. I will be using #10. Thanks to everyone for the responses. This site has never failed to answer one of my questions.

o

If he is trying to use up extra #8, ask him if he can supply it for the same price as #10.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here