Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to hardwire under-cabinet lights

Posted by mark_anderson_us (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 7:43

Hi All

I'm remodeling my kitchen and will be install hardwire under cabinet lights. This is my first go at installing hard-wired ones. I'm a bit lost on termination method/location. How are these normally installed (to meet code). I'm in Chicago, so have added complication that everything must be in pipe

I have 4 runs of wall cabinets where I will need to wire these. Do I leave a JB exposed inside each wall cabinet run.

Regards

mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to hardwire under-cabinet lights

A JB in each run is one method.

Note that the small appliance branch circuits feeding the wall-counter receptacles CANNOT be the source of power for the lights.

They need a separate circuit (though you may be able to share a refrigerator circuit, a general lighting circuit, or a garbage disposal 7 dishwasher circuit).

The usual sticking point is that none of the wiring can be concealed in the walls unless it is an NEC approved method of wiring.

By leaving the low voltage wiring on the bottom of the cabinets exposed (it can still be hidden from view in plastic 'tracks') you get around the concealed wiring rules.

Low voltage wiring can also have connections that are NOT in a junction box.

o

Note that the small appliance branch circuits feeding the wall-counter receptacles CANNOT be the source of power for the lights. They need a separate circuit (though you may be able to share a refrigerator circuit, ...)

The lights can't be on a refrigerator circuit. 210.52(B)1 requires that kitchen (etc) receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment be supplied by either the SA circuits or else an individual branch circuit.

o

Thanks Guys

I'm running totally separate EMT and wires for under cabinets, so it sounds like I can run EMT to the back of the cabinet and then connect to either flex or some kind of raceway.

Anyone know the NEC section no for low voltage rules?

Regards

Mark

o

"The lights can't be on a refrigerator circuit. 210.52(B)1..."

Check with your AHJ about what revision of the NEC you are under.

Not all have this restriction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here