Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to place CO Detectors

Posted by mark_anderson_us (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 7:19

Hi All

Local code requires interconnected, 110v powered, smoke and CO detectors in residences. I'm in middle of rewiring and wondering for best location for CO detectors. I must have one per floor.

I have a 2000 sq ft house and am putting one on the wall below the outside stringer on the stairs.

The stairs make a turn (half landing) 3 risers before end of stairs. Wondering if that's a good location, or better to be in upstairs hallway.

Incidentally, I'm puzzled how combination smoke and CO detectors work. I seem to recall reading that smoke detectors should be placed on, or within 6" of a ceiling and that CO detectors should be at least 15" away from ceiling. So how on earth can I locate on (less than 9" long) that satisfies both requirements?

Regards

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to place CO Detectors

"I seem to recall" ---. Every local code I have seen specifies distances for smoke detectors. Check all the codes for your area. The State of NC permits (or did at one time) smoke detectors on sidewalls not more than 12" below the ceiling. But one NC city requires them on the ceiling only and specifies minimum distance from the walls. Don't install by recall- comply with the local code. I gave this same advice to you earlier.

o
RE: Where to place CO Detectors

I agree with bus, but barring any local guidance, you could always resort to reading the manufacturer's instructions. The kidde combo unit has three pages of placement information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here