Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidr_2002

Switch near bathtub

DavidR
9 years ago

Old house, free standing clawfoot tub. The tub is fitted with a shower conversion faucet which includes a shower curtain ring completely encircling the bathtub.

The faucet end of the tub is 6" from the wall behind it. Mounted on that wall is the switch for the ceiling light. This installation is no newer than the 1940s, and probably dates to before then.

As I understand the code, the protected zone for a bathtub/shower includes 8' above the rim of the tub and 3' horizontally from it. Certain kinds of luminaires and devices aren't allowed in that zone.

However, according to an EC&M article I found on the web, switches and receptacles ARE allowed inside the 3' zone, as long as they're not in the "shower zone" 8' directly over the tub.

This surprised me. I thought switches weren't allowed inside the 3' damp zone. The article was from 2008, and my area happens to still be on the 2008 code.

Because the wall with the switch is 6" away from the tub rim, I think that the switch is outside the "wet zone" or "shower zone" and therefore acceptable.

And in fact, with the shower curtain drawn, the switch is protected from spray.

If I renovate the bath, will I have to move the switch, or can I leave it where it is?

If I have to move it, the only other practical place I could put it would be outside the bathroom.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Comments (14)

• DavidR
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the EC&M article which says a switch and receptacle are permitted inside the 3' zone. See the second illustration (strangely, placed in the middle of a comment about underground communication cable).

Here is a link that might be useful: EC&M page

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

The operative part of the code is Article 404.4 which says the switch can't be within the shower / tub space. A similar provision is in 406.9 for receptacles. As long as these are not inside the shower stall or over the tub you are OK.

The 8x3 zone applies only to light fixtures (luminaires) and is specified in 410.11

This post was edited by ronnatalie on Tue, Dec 30, 14 at 8:35

• DavidR
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The switch is over the tub in a horizontal line parallel to the short dimension of the tub, but it is NOT over it and 6" away from the rim in a line parallel to the long dimension of the tub.

Sorry, that's not a very clear description. Maybe these photos will help.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

Here's the exact reading of the code:

Switches shall not be
    installed within tubs or shower spaces unless installed as part of
    a listed tub or shower assembly.

Given the shower curtain I would say this is not within the shower space (nor within the tub).

• stash-hdy
    9 years ago

you could stand in the tub with water in it and reach the switch. Meeting code or not I would move it out of reach.

• randy41_1
    9 years ago

you could ask the inspector ahead of time.

• joefixit2
    9 years ago

"you could stand in the tub with water in it and reach the switch. Meeting code or not I would move it out of reach."

You'd have a tough time putting the switches out of reach in most small bathrooms. I see no reason to move it out of reach. If it makes you uneasy you can use a non conductive wall plate with plastic screws holding it on. Ace Hardware sells 6-32 plastic machine screws. This is especially a good idea if the wiring is old and un-grounded.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

TOUCHING a switch isn't supposed to be a problem. The prohibition is because of water being directed at the switch.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Don't they make weatherproof- waterproof switches?

Here is a link that might be useful: Weatherproof/Wet location switch.

• DavidR
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ron, thanks for the code reading. If things go far enough with this project that I need to pull a permit, I'll ask the AHJ just in case.

Joe, that's exactly the situation here. It's a relatively small bath by modern standards, though not for the age and style of the house.

Slash, you're right, you could stand in water and touch (use) the switch. But there's nowhere else to put it where it's easily accessible when entering the bathroom. It'd have to mount it right outside the door, and I'd really prefer to avoid that. Moving the tub isn't really on the agenda.

The switch wiring is the original knob and tube, ungrounded of course, though I may update that. Updated or not, those Ace plastic screws sound like good insurance, will check them out.

Palimpsest, thanks, that weatherproof switch would look great in our bathroom! <grin>

• petey_racer
    9 years ago

"you could stand in the tub with water in it and reach the switch. Meeting code or not I would move it out of reach"

I'd like to know your reasoning behind this?

I agree with JoeFixit. In some smaller bathrooms it is nearly impossible to achieve this.

• stash-hdy
    9 years ago

Great that my comment got a discussion going on possible solutions outside of the code considerations. Hope all works out with the renovation if you go forward with it.

• petey_racer
    9 years ago

Do you have an answer for me?

• bullheimer
    9 years ago

replace the breaker the switch is on with a $40 GFI breaker and be done with it Homer.