Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
convience outlet by spa

Posted by scalawagy (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 2:00

I am installing a hot tub and need to add a 120V outlet. There will be a 50 amp breaker in the main panel, supplying a 50 amp gfci panel near the tub. 4 #6 conductors thru a 1" conduit. I am wondering if I can run a single #12 conductor, protected by a 15 or 20 amp breaker in the main panel, thru the same conduit, passing thru the spa box, to a gfci outlet in a box next to the spa box. Then use short lengths of #12 back to the neutral and ground bars in the spa box? Thus using the #6 neutral and ground to complete the 120V circuit.
I know it will "work", but is there some reason it should not be done in this manner?

Thanks for your time
Ken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: convience outlet by spa

Note that this must not be closer than six feet.

You can NOT bootleg the neutral or ground from the 50A spa branch circuit for a convenience outlet circuit. Either run a full separate branch circuit or make your "spa box" a subpanel and put the branch circuit breaker there.

o

Is this an indoor or outdoor spa?

o

Makes little difference if we're talking about a residence. While the rules waggle around a bit, both require the convenience outlet.
Outdoor 680.2(A)(3)
Indoor 680.43(A)

o

Thanks ronnatalie, I will run the additional #12 conductors back to the main panel.

petey racer, it will be outdoor.

still curious as to why my original thought of "bootlegging" the neutral and ground is unsafe or wrong. not arguing, just asking.

Thanks again

o

It's wrong because the code says it is.

It's technically possible to overload the neutral, and your ground may not be sufficiently safe.

One thing you should check, is whether there's any requirement to run a neutral to the spa at all. Most of the ones I've seen (including all three I've installed), just use 240 (two hots) and a ground.

o

The information I've got says it's a 120/240V hot tub and that it needs all four wires. It has a 1/15 hp circulation pump and an ozonator that I assume are both 120V and the heater and jet pump are 240V, I haven't seen a wiring diagram of the unit beyond the connection box yet. There is also an air blower and light.
As I type this I realize there are probably enough 120V components, that they would pull 120 from both phases to help balance the neutral load. I originally assumed it would draw 120 from only one phase and I was going to connect my convenience outlet to the other.

o

What model spa? Mine has a 240V circulator pump (it's still very low number of watts). The lighting is almost always 12V stuff anyhow.

o

Wind River, their Virtue model.

windriverspas.com

o

Yep, you're right. That spa does use the neutral.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here