Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wires at minus temperatures

Posted by akfishguy (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 1:28

I have a weather station, I have hard wired to the house, wiring goes from a 110ac converted down to 3v and then about a 8 ft run out to the outside, up a mass ... All is great till -20 hits, then the unit says it has no power. I used simple house speaker wire, but am thinking, the cold zaps it and it can't carry the power to the weather station. What gauge do I need to run to make this work?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wires at minus temperatures

Cold should actually help conductivity. I bet it's a connection, splice, transformer or something like that.

o

check all connects still soldered good, I put spacers under the wires going to the contacts, the batter compartment, i can't even get one of those pencil solder guns into it...so I took wood, cut same size of batteries, cut groove into side, laid wires, up along, then across the top, it gets power. But then it stops so might be the machine?
T

o

Conductivity of copper wires improves as the temperature is lowered. But speaker wire will not conduct very much current very far at 3 volts, especially at higher temperatures. The apparent relationship between low temperatures and non-operation is baffling. If batteries were involved, the possible problem would be easy to guess.
Have you tested the voltage output of the transformer when the problem is evidencing itself? And tested at the other end of the conductors?
I suggest rewiring with at least 16 gauge. That may or may not help. But it cannot do any harm.

o

Probably a 'cold' solder joint on the PCB. If your skills are up to it you could try reflowing any suspicious looking connections. Power connectors would by the first place I'd look.

o

Batteries? What kind of batteries and where are they? Some types can not provide power very well at low temperatures.

o

Batteries? What kind of batteries and where are they? Some types can not provide power very well at low temperatures.

o

I need to understand what is really going on. Is the outdoor unit designed to be battery operated? Is there a separate indoor unit? Do they communicate wirelessly or wired? If the outdoor unit was designed for battery operation, did you substitute your wood block wirey thingy to supply power?

From the specs, what is the operating temperature range?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here