Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zxttfan

Kitchen GFCI Help

zxttfan
14 years ago

I'm a newbie at this so please bear with me.

I'm finishing up a kitchen remodel and planned on changing the original 2 prong outlets with GFCI's. Two of the changeovers went fine but I'm having problems with the last two.

I have a box over the sink that has a switch for the disposal and an GFCI- I believe this is the start of the circuit. Then I have another 2 outlets (old 2 prongs)on the same circuit. I've changed out everything but can't get the new downstream GFCI and 3 prong to work. During the test and reset phase, the downstream GFCI green light lights up, but has no power.

There are 4 lines coming into this "main" box, 3 with a hot and neutral wire and one with a 2 hots (1 black, 1 red) and a neutral wire. From what I can tell, it's a shared neutral setup as all the neutrals are tied into one cap. The hot from one line goes directly into the GFCI, the other hot comes off a cap from a hot & neutral line and the 2 hot and neutral line (the black wire). The last hot runs directly to the switch. The red hot is capped with another black hot and runs to the switch, making the switch have 2 hots, which I find strange.

It worked fine before with a single GFCI and 2 two-pronged outlets. From what I can tell, the GFCI at the start of the circuit is wired correctly but something is wrong from the switch or next GFCI. Is there something I'm missing?

Comments (2)