Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blinking Street Lights

Posted by mike_kaiser (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 12, 08 at 0:15

I'm driving home tonight and there were about 8 street lights flashing in unison. These were just your run of the mill HPS street lights that you might see along the road anywhere in America. All 8 flashing on and off together in 1-2 second intervals.

I've never seen anything like it before. Heck, I didn't know a HPS lamp would flash (not that I thought much about it before tonight).

Has anyone seen anything like this before or could offer an explanation?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blinking Street Lights

In the past, it was common practice to control a
string of street lights from one daylight activated
controller. This one is obviously malfunctioning.
Most of the street lights today operate on their
own individual controller. At one end of the string
you will see the lighting wires go into a box on the
pole. That is the controller.

o

The old conventional lights have less lifetime and have many other issues so thats why streets lights have these type of issues but now its a technology era we have better led lights which gives us more lifetime and less consumption of energy and our government should replace the street lights by led lights.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ecoled

o

Not buying the longer life of LED's, in my experience they suffer a high infant mortality. Ours just installed last year TWO are already replaced in one block area. One was DOA the other died in 10 months. The replacement died after a week on the second one.

Oh and the biggest complaint I hear is they're WAY TOO DIM.

This post was edited by saltcedar on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 13:57

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here