Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grounding electrode

Posted by jasmar (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 0:07

Getting all my ducks in a row for a meter/main panel(disconnect) replacement, have spoken to POCO and local inspector and have confirmed that they do not want any grounding/bonding in the meter can and that they want pvc used between the meter can and the main panel. City requires that the cold water pipe be used as the grounding electrode when house has copper piping even though its plastic from the water company to the meter in the yard. They require one ground rod to be used as additional grounding electrode. Water comes in on the opposite side of the house from where the electrical comes in. Any reason I could not land the cold water GEC on the ground lug in the main and the land the GEC for the ground rod in the bottom of the panel on the ground/neutral bar or is there a reason they should be bonded outside of the panel itself? Could I bond the ground rod to the copper plumbing somewhere other than where the primary GEC is connected to the cold water line (where it enters the house)?
Which would be the best option (are any non code compliant)?
#4 between main panel and cold water pipe then using separate clamp on same cold water line, #6 through wall to ground rod.
#4 between main panel and cold water pipe landed on ground lug at top of panel, #6 connected to ground/neutral bar and run through bottom of panel and outside wall to ground rod.
#4 between main panel and cold water pipe then #6 bond between copper pipe and ground rod on opposite side of house (about 25 foot from where cold water line enters house)
J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grounding electrode

Your supplemental electrode can be connected to the panel (provided the terminal is up listed for the conductor size in question).

You're not required to go over #6 cu on the connection to the supplemental electrode, you could if you wanted to.

I'm surprised the inspector will permit only one supplemental rod electrode. The NEC rule is that the supplemental electrode needs to meet the same rule as if it were the sole electrode (which usually requires two rods).

o
RE: grounding electrode

To borrow from another saying, the inspector ain't always right but he is always the inspector.
I had one stubborn inspector who had not even bothered to look at the job but refused to pass it. So I knew another electrician who was personal friends with the inspector. That electrician came and looked and found all to be OK. So I hired him to be the electrician of record and the job passed with no changes.
No wonder that I am wary of authority.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here