Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasmar_gw

grounding electrode

Jasmar
10 years ago

Getting all my ducks in a row for a meter/main panel(disconnect) replacement, have spoken to POCO and local inspector and have confirmed that they do not want any grounding/bonding in the meter can and that they want pvc used between the meter can and the main panel. City requires that the cold water pipe be used as the grounding electrode when house has copper piping even though its plastic from the water company to the meter in the yard. They require one ground rod to be used as additional grounding electrode. Water comes in on the opposite side of the house from where the electrical comes in. Any reason I could not land the cold water GEC on the ground lug in the main and the land the GEC for the ground rod in the bottom of the panel on the ground/neutral bar or is there a reason they should be bonded outside of the panel itself? Could I bond the ground rod to the copper plumbing somewhere other than where the primary GEC is connected to the cold water line (where it enters the house)?
Which would be the best option (are any non code compliant)?
#4 between main panel and cold water pipe then using separate clamp on same cold water line, #6 through wall to ground rod.
#4 between main panel and cold water pipe landed on ground lug at top of panel, #6 connected to ground/neutral bar and run through bottom of panel and outside wall to ground rod.
#4 between main panel and cold water pipe then #6 bond between copper pipe and ground rod on opposite side of house (about 25 foot from where cold water line enters house)
J

Comments (2)