Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zensojourner

Cord for fluorescent

Pyewacket
9 years ago

OK I think I am confusing myself. This is related to my question about wiring ground to a fluorescent when installing a power cord.

I have always gone by amp draw to determine what size power cord to use.

But the guy at Lowe's insisted I needed "special" SVT rated power cord to wire a fluorescent fixture because the ballasts are rated at 600V.

But the more I think about it the more that does NOT make any sense. Because those power ratings on portable cord (extension cord, power cord) are for SERVICE voltage - aren't they? Isn't there a step-up device in the ballast to convert 120V supply to (up to) 600V start-up voltage for the bulb(s)? So that 600V is created AFTER service voltage enters via the power cord, and has nothing to do with the power cord - does it?

I am not seeing how the voltage rating on the ballast really has anything to do with the voltage rating of the power cord. I think that guy was talking through his hat - but I still have a cold and I'm having trouble thinking this through.

I'm thinking I had this worked out properly the first time - BEFORE I talked to the Lowe's guy - and that the ONLY thing I need to worry about is having 2 conductors and a ground that are capable of carrying the 800mA peak current. Which is basically almost anything, given that 18g will handle 10 A.

So who's right, me or the guy at Lowe's?

This post was edited by zensojourner on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 23:42

Comments (3)

• randy427
    9 years ago

The guy at Big Blue doesn't have any idea what he is talking about.
    SVT is severe service cord used on commercial cleaning equipment.

• btharmy
    9 years ago

The only people who are wrong about electrical issues more often than homeowners is the "big box" electrical aisle guy.

• Pyewacket
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's what I thought. It just didn't make a lick of sense once I started to think about it.

I've been sick as a dog for weeks now. When I get sick these days I can't seem to follow a thought, or at least my confidence about my own knowledge is severely degraded. I used to watch this happen to my dad - it doesn't feel any better for me than I imagine it did for him!

It's just a friggin' cold, even if it HAS held on for weeks!

Thanks for the confirmation. Now I can get the dang things wired up.