Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unsheathed wire to code?

Posted by ciana (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 24, 09 at 23:07

Sorry in advance for the lengthy posting. I don't know how to describe this more concisely. :-) And please forgive any electrical ignorance. That's why I love this site. I know I can get some good advice.

We're in the middle of a partial kitchen remodel (keeping most of the cabinets, but modifying lights, countertops, tile, appliances). Our kitchen is beneath a second story bedroom and bathroom, so there's no access from the ceiling and we have a slab floor. We did have to cut a 3x2 foot opening in the ceiling when we took down the walled pantry to replace with a pantry cabinet.
We are redoing all of the lighting. Previously, we had just some fluorescent overhead lights and undercabinet lights. We are replacing with pendants over the island, canned lights, cabinet uplights and undercabinet lights. We are also replacing the outlets in the counter backsplash with plugmolds.

I've got a few questions:
1) When we were running new wiring for the canned lights, we found a run of Romex that was unsheathed (visible from the 3x2 opening). This goes from our dining room light switch to its sister 3-way switch. Is this to code? Should we try to replace this with sheathed Romex? My concern is that access is very difficult, so it's hard to pull new wires through.
2) What's the best way to run wiring from ceiling to upper wall if we don't have easy access to the ceiling? We need to run outlets to above our cabinets for the uplights, but can't figure out how to do that easily. We have access in the ceiling about 3-5' away through some AC vents.
3) We have two circuits to our countertops now, one on each end of a 5' run, sink, then 9' run. We were going to hardwire plugmold strips to each run with a GFCI starting at each end. For the 9' run, will that be too many outlets for one circuit? The 9' circuit will also power an undercounter wine fridge and two wall outlets in our breakfast nook.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unsheathed wire to code?

Sorry for the not quite accurate subject heading. I started this thread to just ask about question 1, but then added the other questions.

Also, for the plugmold, it comes to about 8 outlets on the 5' run and 12 outlets on the 9' run. We wouldn't use all the outlets at the same time - probably only 1-2 maximum simultaneously. My concern is that the 9' run also has the wine fridge and the two wall outlets on the same circuit. What's the max we should have on each circuit?

o

What do you mean by unsheathed Romex? Are you saying you see individual wires (white, black, and bare or paper-covered ground)?

o

Yes,I see individual wires - red, black, white and copper - that powers a 3-way switch in our dining room that is not wrapped together. The individual wires are coated except for the copper.

o

Code requires the wires to run together in a sheathing as in NM (Romex) or in a conduit. Individual wires should only be visible inside a box.

o

Sometimes individual wires are run that are stranded, rather than solid. However, they can only be used in conduit, armored cable, or similar. So, bottomline, whatever you have is not to code.

o

Thanks for all your responses. We suspected as much and DH and BIL ran new Romex Thanksgiving morning. It' kept them busy while waiting for dinner and they finished up right in time to eat. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here