Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clearance for circuit breaker panel

Posted by naturelle (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 30, 06 at 22:53

I have been planning for the location of the subpanel for my second floor.

Re the code requirements for clearance, I don't have the Code, only a abbreviated note which says 30x36 inches. I presume that means 30 wide and 36" in front

One location is near a jog in the wall of a bedroom, the corner consisting of a short leg of wall (A) about 21" and the other wall (B) is the full width of the room. There is a door 13" (C) around from the jog.

I'm planning on placing the subpanel around X, say about 6" from the (A) wall. Is that OK? O represents someone standing in front. I can move the panel over more than 6", but prefer not to do so, as I want t keep it as unobtrusive as possible.

Thanks for the help,

Ted

Here is a link that might be useful: panel location

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clearance for circuit breaker panel

That is fine. The 30" clear space does not have to be centered on the panel.

o
RE: Clearance for circuit breaker panel

Oh good, that helps a lot. So the code allows for havng to work slightly offset to the panel. I was concerned that the jog would count against the clearance, but it really does not get in the way for good access to the panel.

Thanks again, petey racer,

Ted

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here