Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LED cost Vs Savings

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 22:42

I figured you guys could answer this. I bought LED color xmas lights over the past few years for our indoor tree...usually on clearance at year's end. Now the wife wants white. Well, the LEDs don't all look like there incandescent brethren. The ones that do cost a fortune...$11 for 50 lights and I need 500.

I started to wonder what the real advantage of the LEDs are? My experience with the color ones are that they don't last any longer than regular ones before they go out.

Savings?
Am I right in assuming that a strand of 100 incandescent use 40 watts. I can string 5 sets together. That's 500 lights at 200 watts. If my electric is about 10 cents per kilowatt hour (sound right for northeast usa?), Then I use a kilowatt every 5 hours. If lights are on for 10 hours a day...thats 20 cents a day to run them. Or $12 for two months. The LEDS cost maybe 1/5 of that to run or a couple of bucks....but the dog gone lights will cost me $80 more than regular ones...Is my math bad...what am I missing here!!! What's the advantage?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LED cost Vs Savings

You're correct. Only buy what you like. The LED's have a high mortality so you'll be replacing more strings as well as spending more per string.

o

One consideration is how much cord and circuit capacity is required for large numbers of incandescent lamps. For a given lumens output, the incandescents may require 5 times the amperage input compared to the LEDs.

o

yes, that's why I bought them at season end for outside...did not have to worry about blowing fuses and what not....but inside, on a tree...I figure its like running a 200 watt light bulb...I do notice they run hotter than the LEDS...so long as they are safe though...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here